Title: History of the Alleghany Evangelical Lutheran synod of Pennsylvania, together with a topical handbook of the Evangelical Lutheran church, its ancestry, origin and development
Year: 1918 (1910s)
Authors: Carney, W. H. Bruce
Publisher: Philadelphia, Pa., Printed for the Synod by the Lutheran publication society
Contributing Library: Princeton Theological Seminary Library
Digitizing Sponsor: Princeton Theological Seminary Library
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
Rev. John Michael Steck moved from Chambersburgto Bedford and preached at Berlin and occasionally at Salisbury.It appears that the congregation was organized by Rev.Steck somewhere between 1789 and 1792. This would give the 581 M KUERSET CONFERENCE congregation a history of about 125 years. In 1794, Rev. Frederick William Lange became pastor. Thefirst baptism recorded by him was May 1, 1795. In 1809, during Rev. Langes pastorate, the first church build-ing was erected. The building was constructed jointly by theLutheran and Reformed congregations and used by them until1853. ■ It stood in the east end of the town, near the old ceme-tery on the hill overlooking the village. The cost was estimatedat $600. It was a two-story log house, weather-boarded on theoutside and lined on the inside. A gallery extended along threesides, with a high pulpit on the north side. According to the best information obtainable, it was in thischurch, in 1838, during the ministry of Rev. Charles Reese, that
Text Appearing After Image:
JOSIAH DIVELY the first union Sunday school of the town was organized. JohnLowry was the first superintendent. This congregation in its early history was connected at varioustimes with the Berlin, Cumberland, Frostburg and WellersburgChurches and served by their pastors. In 1826, when the West Pennsylvania Synod convened atBerlin, Rev. Frederick Haas was present as pastor of the Salis-bury and Greenville churches. Michael Dively, of Salisbury,was in attendance as lay delegate from these churches. He wasgiven a seat and the right to vote. Mr. Dively was undoubtedlythe first lay delegate to represent this congregation at Synod.Rev. Haas made application to be received as a member of that582 ST. JOHNS, ELK LICK body. The following resolution was passed: That Rev. Haascannot be received until he has obtained a special recommenda-tion from the president of the Synod to which he belongs. It is believed that Rev. Haas lived in Salisbury, but this cannotbe verified. He appears to have resigne
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Tagged: , bookid:historyofallegha02carn , bookyear:1918 , bookdecade:1910 , bookcentury:1900 , bookauthor:Carney__W__H__Bruce , bookpublisher:Philadelphia__Pa___Printed_for_the_Synod_by_the_Lutheran_publication_society , bookcontributor:Princeton_Theological_Seminary_Library , booksponsor:Princeton_Theological_Seminary_Library , bookleafnumber:133 , bookcollection:Princeton , bookcollection:americanaSome local news is curated - Original might have been posted at a different date/ time! Click the source link for details.