Image from page 407 of “History of Centre and Clinton Counties, Pennsylvania” (1883) – Philadelphia Picture

Identifier: historyofcentrec00linn
Title: History of Centre and Clinton Counties, Pennsylvania
Year: 1883 (1880s)
Authors: Linn, John Blair, 1831-1899. cn
Subjects:
Publisher: Philadelphia : Louis H. Everts
Contributing Library: University of Pittsburgh Library System
Digitizing Sponsor: University of Pittsburgh Library System

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
tory of Potter township, wasthe pioneer church of that denomination in the val-ley. They also built what was called the DeckerChurch, which was used prior to 1840. Burial-Places.—The oldest burial-place in thetownship is that known commonly as Heckmansgraveyard. The ground was set aside in 1785 byJohn Shook, to be used by him and his neighbors,and thus came in genera! use. The first burial is be-lieved to have been a child of Shooks. There are agreat many old graves which have no visible meansof identification, the marks having gone to decaylong ago. The remains of most of the old settlersrest within it, viz.: the Mussers, Shooks, Heck-mans, Marks, Longs, Sunday, and others. In 1848an association was formed, and the grounds improvedand enlarged by the purchase of additional ground.It is at present kept in excellent order, the expensesbeing defrayed by a nominal tax on those applyingfor the use thereof. The present trustees are PhilipShook, Daniel Gentzel, and Joseph Smith. A trustee

Text Appearing After Image:
GREGG TOWNSHIP. 293 is chosen every year, his term being for three years.Meetings are held on Easter Monday of eacli year. An ancient burial-place is that located on theMusser farm, where the old Union Church formerlystood. It was used as early as 1790, although alltraces of the early graves have long ago become ex-tinct. The only remaining grave which bears anydistinguishable marks is the one of the Rev. JamesMartin, the pioneer Presbyterian pastor. The fol-lowing inscription appears upon his tombstone : • Here lies the body of the Rev. James Martiu, Pastor of tlie firstPresbyterian Congregation in Penns Valley, who died June 20, a.d.1795, aged about 65 years. Deep was the wound, 0 Death, and vastly wide,When he resigned his useful breath and died.Ye sacred tribes, with pious sorrow mourn, – And drop a tear at your dear pastors urn. Concealed a moment from our longing eyes,Beneath this stone bis mortal body lies.Happy the spirit lives, and will, we trust,In bliss associate with bis

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Image published by Internet Archive Book Images on 2014-07-30 05:47:51 and used under Creative Commons license.

Tagged: , bookid:historyofcentrec00linn , bookyear:1883 , bookdecade:1880 , bookcentury:1800 , bookauthor:Linn__John_Blair__1831_1899__cn , bookpublisher:Philadelphia___Louis_H__Everts , bookcontributor:University_of_Pittsburgh_Library_System , booksponsor:University_of_Pittsburgh_Library_System , bookleafnumber:407 , bookcollection:university_pittsburgh , bookcollection:americana

Some local news is curated - Original might have been posted at a different date/ time! Click the source link for details.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.